Make progress on a writing project before the summer ends! Join ADVANCE at UNM Director Julia Fulghum and Assistant Professor Lindsay Smith in a 2 Week Online Writing Challenge! Lindsay and Julia are both committing to write for a set amount of time every day for 14 days, starting August 1.
How will this work?
You pick a project and set your own “guidelines.”
How do I get started?
Make your own rules! Need to find the references for an article? Set aside time every day to do that. Need to work on a Revise and Resubmit? Go for it! Pick a project and an amount of time that works for you. We’ll provide the encouragement and virtual company.
- Julia is going to work on a book chapter (due in early September) for 30 minutes every day.
- Her 30 minutes have to be spent writing sections of the chapter rather than reading or looking for references, getting coffee or wandering around the room.
- Writing the 2 Week Writing Challenge blog won’t count!
- Lindsay will be working on revising an article for an invited special issue of a journal, due at the end of August. She thinks it will be an enormous relief to get the revisions out of the way before the semester starts.
- Her goal for the challenge is to spend 25 minutes each day on focused writing. To help get there, she’s going to try to follow these three rules:
- Working for 25 minutes in one sitting
- No internet, emails, google scholar searches, reading *just* one more article on the theory, reviewing the data *again* etc
- Explicitly asking for help in watching her kiddo for that time since she doesn’t have childcare for one week of the challenge.
Share your goal and rules with us in the comments section at the bottom of the page. You may also participate through social media. Be sure to use #UNMwrites and tag us so we can see you! You may share your name or be anonymous.
What can we say about the writing challenge? In the end, neither of us made our goal of writing every day. Lindsay did get much more writing done than she would normally would have in the two weeks before classes begin, and Julia has never previously accomplished any progress on a writing project just before […] Read More
Julia is also getting ready to wrap up the two week intensive. Come visit us on Monday and share with us your final thoughts on the challenge!
Our challenge is almost over! Catch up with Lindsay’s progress on Monday as she shares her final thoughts.
Welcome to Friday everyone! I hope you’ve had a productive week. As I wrote on Wednesday, I can hear the approach of the herd of cats that is the fall semester…I violated my writing rules today and spent time on organizing and editing. When I reach a certain point in a project, I have to print […] Read More
Hi Everyone, I feel the approach of the coming semester like the approach of a herd of horses cats – a distant sound that grows louder with each passing day ( cat herding ). Or maybe I’ve just been spending too much time staring at my calendar and contemplating the large number of presentations I […] Read More
We are over half way done with the challenge. Way to go everyone for sticking it through this far! How did your first week go? Like Julia, I’ve had some ups and downs. Over the weekend, I didn’t even make it to the writing table, despite my commitment to the challenge. I realize that on […] Read More
Lindsay is also taking a break from the blog this weekend! Come back on Monday for Julia’s updates, and on Tuesday for Lindsay’s. Let us know in the comments how your weekend is going!
We take breaks from the blog on weekends, but not from writing! Come back and visit us on Monday for our normal schedule.