Advance at UNM compiles guide to important faculty policies

Do you have questions about UNM policies?

Understanding and interpreting university policy can be tricky if you don’t know where to start. To help, we’ve put together this guide of faculty policies, which you can also download here.

Can’t find what you’re looking for? Found it but aren’t sure how to interpret it?

In general, if you have questions about a UNM policy or you need more information on interpreting one, start with your department administrator or department chair. If they’re not sure, then most colleges have an associate dean that handles policy issues. For example, in Arts and Sciences, Senior Associate Dean Phil Ganderton (gandinin at unm dot edu) handles policy questions.

And if college officials don’t know, then Interim Associate Provost for Faculty Development Alex Lubin (alubin at unm dot edu) is the person to contact.

Additionally, faculty can contact the faculty governance bodies that oversee the policies in question. For policies related to Academic Freedom and Tenure (Section B), faculty should contact the AF&T chairperson or any member of the committee. This is a a confidential resource.

For any other faculty policy, faculty can approach the Senate Policy Committee. Faculty also can direct their inquiries to the University Secretary, who will forward them to the appropriate governance body.

Faculty with other confidential questions also can contact a member of the Advance at UNM leadership or email us at advance at unm dot edu.

Faculty-Policies-V.2.2-3 (1)